dodged another medical bullet

Friday during dialysis a rather insistent pain developed that ran from my chest near my heart down to my abdomen.  I bailed out of dialysis after 90 minutes and an ambulance took me to emergency in the Georgian Bay Hospital in Midland.  I was admitted.  I was watched carefully for awhile and some blood test were made to check if I had some kind of cardiac event.  I was admitted to a general ward with a remote cardiac monitor.   Nothing wrong with my heart.  BP got high a couple of times over the next 24 hours.  The pain was gone by Sunday morning and I was released on Monday morning in time to get to afternoon dialysis.  My sister drove me to my D clinic for the normal Monday afternoon 4.5 hour run.

three other beds in my room…. hard not to hear all the conversations, a couple of the men were hard of hearing….. detailed and persistent cross examination by family members trying to find out what was going on with their ill family member…..  I think all of us patients grew quickly tired of all the cross examinations….. when you are tired and feeling overwhelmed and a family member is pinning down your vague answers you do your best to answer but you wish they would just let it go or more ideally that they were present when the doctor drops in and gives you a verbal update which you may not recall letter perfectly…..nothing ever on paper.


Author: William J. Gibson

62 year old - writer/photographer Canadian, survived open heart surgery, received kidney transplant, sometimes dour, sometimes amusing, over six feet in height, severely follicle challemged

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s