some recent dialysis stuff

  1. had a rough ride the other day when I came in with a higher than usual BP and had an apparently good run going until the last twenty minutes out of four hours when my BP dropped through the floor boards and I got light headed and lights brighter, nurses dropped the chair back to lower my head and gave me some oxygen and after a bit my BP came back up.  Took a little longer to get off the machine and set to go out and drive myself home.
  2. one of the other patients has been giving me some grief and the nurses some static about who gets brought in first for our dialysis shift.  this started on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve when I was told to come in at 1115AM rather than my usual 1240PM. he uses a motorized wheelchair and is brought to dialysis by Red Cross transfer vehicle from his home along with one or two other patients.  I am the latest person to join this shift which runs more or less on seniority as to who gets seating first and so on.  8 patients between three nurses.  there are three hour run and four hour run patients, so the nurses have to work out putting on and taking off patients so that not every one is done at the same moment. getting set up is approximately a certain amount of time but there are days when things take longer or the machines are a bit balky or something goes amiss or takes longer, it is a bit of a puzzle juggling act.  It is beyond tiresome to get berated by another paitent and accused of jumping the line according to his view when I am simply following the direction of the nurses.  To avoid further confrontation I have chosen not to wait in the waiting area when this man is there but instead I wait outside the second set of glass doors at the main entrance and lean against a nice warm heater and keep an eye on the door to the clinic.  given my track record I could  verbally disembowel this guy based on my past regretted not long after the fact verbal warfare moments in my past…. and given the recent amount of small stuff I have had to sweat lately, a thermonuclear verbal response is ready and waiting for me to launch.  So silence and walking away, letting the BS go.
  3. a couple of nurses and one patient spoke quietly to me in the clinic and suggested I just ignore the nuisance.  clearly we all have our issues with out situations and the things we have to deal with
  4. on the 18th of January down to Toronto for a test and some interviews for the transplant process, I am still years away from the actual transplant event if I qualify
  5. just getting over a wicked head cold which hit me about four days ago.  coughing like a barking sea lion

Author: William J. Gibson

62 year old - writer/photographer Canadian, survived open heart surgery, received kidney transplant, sometimes dour, sometimes amusing, over six feet in height, severely follicle challemged

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s