Originally uploaded by canuckshutterer (W.J. Gibson)
Ste. Marie Among the Hurons is a reconstruction of the 1640s fortified French mission located just east of Midland, Ontario. The reconstruction was undertaken in 1967. The original buildings were burned to the ground during the Iroquois campaign against the Huron in 1649.
This photo is of a door in the French compound. The French had a blacksmith’s forge at Ste. Marie.